Thursday, December 28, 2006

And now, 2007

People are getting all sentimental. Or they're getting all goal-oriented. Or, they're freaking out.

"Two-thousand and seven!" They scream it, as if they're surprised it's here.

"Two-thousand seven, no 'and'," I want to correct them.

I don't really believe in resolutions, you see. I don't believe in saying this year, this date, this calendar flipping moment will be the ONE thing that changes everything. I don't believe my life happens that way.

I believe, rather, that when we feel something and when we want it, really want it, that is the moment. It doesn't have to be the dawn of a new year, not even the dawn of a new day. It just has to be.

Nonetheless, I am a hypocrite. I still think about "resolutions" and things I'd like to do differently. My one rule, though, tends to be that I won't make consequential resolutions. I want to set myself up for success. That, I believe, is the key to getting many things we want. It's logical. If you don't want the dog to chew up your shoes, for crying out loud, put them away. Same goes with a resolution, I think. If you want to succeed, be realistic- accept the challenge and prepare for success.

Driving home in the snow today, I was trying to make my list. First, I thought of music. I want more music in my life. And not just that, but I want NEW music- music new to me, that will open my mind yet not offend me (note: Expect demanding post in near future). Second, I want more time to appreciate new things, like art and distant shores. After number one and two, I realized that it really comes down to one goal: I want to be more aware. I want more moments in which I feel like I'm only in that moment, appreciating everything it has to offer and knowing that it was made just for me.

So, in my non-resolute but never missing a chance to join the bandwagon frenzy, in 2007 I want to do something simple, that can only reap benefits.

Take time. Enjoy. Be aware.

Look up.



8 comments:

anne said...

Happy New Year.

I recently began to listen to XM radio and it introduced me to a ton of new artists...I could be behind the times, but it worked well for me.

Backofpack said...

A good and worthy goal. And in every moment that you relish you will have achieved it - it's not a be all/end all goal. I like it.

I don't believe I have any resolutions - I have lots of dreams and ideas burning in my mind though. I might adopt your goal as my own (I'll give you credit though!) And as for the dreams and I ideas, I'll do what I always do, and start working on them. I think it's an ongoing, constant thing - after all, isn't that what builds a life?

Malnurtured Snay said...

It's funny - I graduated high school in 1997, and this May I'll graduate college, too, exactly ten years later. Crazy. Happy New Year!

Sizzle said...

this is very good. i like this one.

Danielle said...

Happy New Year...I'm working on my post for the resolutions of the new year. I agree with you in that it's a time in your life, a life defining moment that helps the clarity and not a calendar flipping year. I used to hate Jan and Feb at the gym cause all the new years resolution people coming in and joining, only to disappear by March...

justacoolcat said...

I made a resolution years ago to not make any more resolutions, and I've stuck to it.

As for music, you know dang well how to find good tunes to preview every week.

Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

A friend of mine publishes a music blog were he reccomends a new song each day. Here's a link We Cast Music

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Great resolution! Happy New year.