Tuesday, July 04, 2006

In pursuit of happiness

Back from the depths of... well, okay, no depths. The only thing that decreased was latitude, which is generally a good thing.

The last four days have pretty much been my own little happy adventure. As I drove home from the airport tonight and watched fireworks in the distance, I had to take a minute to really be thankful for my life and the way I'm allowed to live it.

I am truly amazed that an ordinary twenty-six year old girl can drive over the Seven Mile Bridge* one day and be sitting in the comfort of her own home the next. Not because of the miracles of transportation but because it started as just an idea and as just something I had to do and, by some blessing I'll never completely understand, I had the freedom to actually do it.

I'm reminded of the sacrifices made for this freedom. I'm reminded of the principles that make up it's foundation; though what we see on the surfaces today may seem very different, I have faith that those principles will not be forgotten. There are inalienable rights I'm so fortunate to have. Among them, the pursuit of happiness for which I'm so very, very grateful.



* More on the Seven Mile Bridge and other US-1 happenings in a post coming soon!

5 comments:

Sizzle said...

nice getaway! :)

Runner Girl FL said...

7-mile bridge is always a wonder of it's self. I hope you were able to watch the sky to see the shuttle take off before you had to fly home. It is nice to know we have the freedom of the pursuit.

Anonymous said...

Sizz- Yep. Though these days they're all nice.

RGF- Yes, it is a wonder. I'm glad to have done it, though I don't think I need to do it again. People get in a hurry heading north- scary!

GG- Not today, anyway. :)

Ginger Breadman said...

I had to look up that bridge and where in the keys the highway goes - amazing! Looking forward to more about it.

justacoolcat said...

Welcome back! I can't wait to hear about your trip.