Monday, August 27, 2007

Cure-all

Don't ever let anyone tell you there aren't at least a few go-to cure-alls in this world for a long week.

But I'll back up a little. I'm still getting used to balancing a new pass time in my life, you see. It's school, of course. And learning to make room for learning is an interesting transition. I anticipated this, or as much as I could anyway, but what I didn't know was how much I'd enjoy it. Through all the years I wanted to go back to school, I waited for it to feel right. I resisted the idea of going back for something I "should" do and waited until I figured out what I wanted to do. And now that I'm doing it, I'm into it and it's great.

The tough part, when you're making room for the books and the reading and the homework is that nothing else goes away. The dog still needs to be walked, the floor still needs to be cleaned and that project at work, you know, the one that pays? Well, there's a deadline. Oh, and have I mentioned the half marathon I'm registered for next weekend? No? I haven't? Well there's that, too. Which means making time for running. And if you were running as slowly as am right now, you'd know just how much time that's taking.

All of this sort of came together last week. I was all the sudden pulling the balancing act again and though you know me too well to know this was not a unique situation, I still managed to claim that it sneaked up on me. Sometimes I think that's why we're all here, for me to play mind games with myself and you to put me in check with a comment that says hello, liar, YOU DO THIS ALL THE TIME.

Speaking of comments, thanks for all of yours on the 'butterflies and fireworks' post. Though I did receive one choice email from Patty, a nineteen-year-old college student from Atlanta, I really appreciated all the insights. You people are really remarkable. (But FYI: Do not ever, ever tell a nineteen-year-old Southern girl there is no such thing as an effortless relationship. She will disagree. And she has seven (seven!) paragraphs to tell you why.) The more I think about it, the more the idea of soul mates and timing really go hand in hand, don't you think? Several of you commented that you believed people came into our lives, all people, at certain times for certain reasons. I couldn't agree more. I have friends I've met, it seems, at just the right time in my life and for all the right reasons. These people, I have no doubt, are some kind of "soul" person, if you will.

So do you see all this thinking going on? This is the sort of thing adding to the full plate. And yeah, OF COURSE I know we all have this. I'm just saying, it got a little rough last week. By Friday, I was ready for a cold one all the while knowing I had zero energy to stay awake long enough to drink it. I thought this was going to be my cure-all.

But lo, it was not meant to be. Instead, I got a last minute invite from a friend with a spare ticket to a concert. So I cancelled everything I'd planned for the evening (read: decided cleaning the toilet could wait another day) and met up with my friend. For a few minutes I was thinking, gee, does this make me a loser? The fact that I have nothing happening on a Friday night and can just say 'yes' to plans at the drop of a hat? I'm now Extra Ticket Girl. Nice. But then the music started and I knew that was definitely not a loser, I was lucky.

And there you have a cure-all. Live music, any live music (well, almost), just makes all my worries and stress go away for a little while. I take a deep breath, look around and for a while, everything is a little lighter.

We may also have done the Footloose dance in the aisle. So I guess that makes two cure-alls.

14 comments:

anne said...

I can't fathom the "hate" mail you get - it is so unreal.

RunToTheFinish said...

A good night with a friend can cure many things. Good luck with the juggling act!

megabrooke said...

good luck with your new classes! that sounds exciting.
i love love LOVE live music! who did you see?

Danielle said...

Don't worry about being the "extra ticket girl" just like there are reasons we meet people, sometimes not having plans are meant to be so we can do something fun at the last minute. It made you both happy. Sure, plans are great, but sometimes, spontenaity is even better.

Sizzle said...

who are these people writing 7 paragraph emails? weird!

live music and dancing, definite cure all.

and no, you are not a loser.

The Exception said...

Friends, events, love - I am not one who believes in coincidence so for me, it is about timing and other things.

You are so not a looser!!

I am so excited for you, all the changes, the new opportunities... it is all very exciting!

Craver said...

I decided early this year, that those people who I couldn't figure out why they showed up in my life (as in, nothing remarkable happening at that time) didn't. I showed up in theirs, when they needed me.
I like the fit of that.

Also, music and friendship is definitely a cure all for me, that and fetch with my dogs.
Nothin' better.

Good luck with school!
JC

Anonymous said...

I hate juggling... *sigh*
Good luck!

justacoolcat said...

I am so jealous. No one ever cares enough to send me angry email.

runliarun said...

Oh, so what is it that you want to do? That is the most important part of the post, and it's missing .

Unknown said...

you did the footloose dance...? Holy crap! What concert did you go to? Huewy Lewis and the News! (who BTW I have seen in concert and can attest to how much they ROCK!)

Anonymous said...

Good for you with going back to school...I don't have the (pick one) desire/will power/motivation/discipline to do it. I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

I hear you on adding things to your plate and wondering where you'll find the time/energy. I guess you can then end up like me fueled by exhaustion. I'll sleep when I'm dead. :)

I think there are soul mates in some sort of way. But timing is everything and nothing. So they might be out there but you may never meet them. Or you may meet them and the timing is off and shit happens and they move on and don't look back. Life, you know.

*kb* said...

I feel your juggling pain! I too go to school and work and it's so hard to keep up with everything in life!! Thankfully my friends are pretty understanding to the demands of my school work!