Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Why Things Between Siblings Will Always Be Unique

If you have siblings you know that of everyone in the world, they probably know you best. You might not admit it and, heck no do you talk about it but you know. And they know, too.

Along with knowing you so well, siblings have this way of bringing you back to reality. No putting on airs, no going to extremes. No matter what cloud you might be on and regardless of what their intention might be, no one puts your feet on the ground faster.

The following is from an email I recently sent my sister:

... I'm so glad you guys are going to be here soon! I'm looking forward to the time we'll get to spend together, unrushed, unhurried. It'll be like we get to know each other again, and better. And I'll get to be an aunt. A full-time aunt. I'm so happy to do that! It'll be great. It means so much to me that we'll be such a part of one another's life for a while. It's such an important time for that. We'll always remember this..."
.
And on I went for another paragraph more.
.
The response from my sister:
"I'm excited, too. Were you drinking when you wrote this?"

15 comments:

Bre said...

Ha! When I posted about my sister turning 21 she called me and said something along the lines of "how much wine did you consume before posting that you great big cheeseball!?"

The love of a sister is wonderful, no?

anne said...

now that is some love huh? as mine told me 2 weeks ago that i am a crappy tennis player. nice...

Anonymous said...

Ahhh I totally relate to this!! i told my brother the other day I was proud of him, and that I loved him and he asked how long the Oprah moment was going to last. I suppose that's what I get for trying to hug it out with a younger brother!

Anonymous said...

Haha! my sister is moving back to the chicagoland area and I'm always saying things like that to her. her response always is - yeah, it will be nice!
I decided to express my feelings to my 4 year old nephew - he seems to appreciate my excitement more.

Airam said...

HAHAHAHA!!

I love this!! I have three brothers so I know exactly what you mean!

Danielle said...

I wish my sister and I were closer...we live about 20 minutes apart and see each other on brief occasion when we run into each other at a bar (even in a big city it happens on occasion) or see each other at our parents...although she did tell me she needed to me the new boy in my life as her opinion was the only one that counted.

Anonymous said...

...and WERE you?

As an only child, I can only dream of siblings... but I see these things in my kids (4). Enjoy your visit.

Backofpack said...

Oh yeah. I called my sister last night - she asked why and I said just to see what was going on. She said "aren't you sweet?" But it was the tone! Then we had a really nice chat. Yep, sisters and brothers are something else!

Maggie said...

My siblings and I have strange relationships. Maybe it's because they're older or that they're my step. I don't know. Only one of them do I really have a good relationship with.
And yes, we know exactly when the other has been 'emailing under the influence'.

justacoolcat said...

I really must meet your sis one day. She's awesome.

Sizzle said...

ha ha ha!

sometimes my sis bursts my bubble so i hold back on telling her stuff so i can float awhile...cuz i know she will be right but i just feel like being wrong! ;)

Anonymous said...

That's cute...you can read the raised eyebrows in her response.

Appletini said...

That is sooo funny! Were you? j/k
I have 3 sibs, and yes they know me all to well ;)

megabrooke said...

haha, this is cute.
you're going to be an aunt?!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

It was that homemade rum, wasn't it?

I'm really looking forward to seeing my sibs again this summer for the first time in a year and I'm not even drunk.