Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Oh.

While listening to REO Speedwagon's Can't Fight This Feeling and driving down the Interstate:


Me: I love REO Speedwagon.

Friend: Yeah, me too.

Me: No wonder people used to make out to this stuff, huh?

Friend: Used to? I still would!

Me: Alright, me too... but this song bothers me.

Friend: Why?

Me: Because, why should he have to give all that up for love? Why should he have to "bring his ship into the shore and throw away the oars?" No one should have to give that up. I mean, isn't being in love supposed to be nice, and freeing. Aren't you supposed to feel good about what you do and who you are and the things you love? You shouldn't have to give up your ship. That's just wrong.

Friend: They're not talking about an actual ship.

Me: What?

Friend: It means he's giving up all the woman chasing. It's a metaphor.

Me: Oh.

Friend: ...

Me: Well it's a good thing because that would just be stupid. I would never do that.

Friend: Well I don't think you'll ever have to make that choice.

Me: Gee, thanks. I'll never find love.

Friend: No, genius, because you'll never have a ship.

Me: Gee, thanks. No love and no boat. Great.

Friend: Oh geez!

Me: What? You never know? The odds are about the same for both!

6 comments:

anne said...

May 2007 bring you a boat full of love or at least men.

Backofpack said...

This is probably exactly why you and I get along so well in the blogging world. I have had conversations that are awfully close to that! I woulda thought he was talking about a real ship too!

justacoolcat said...

A metaphor?

Then what the hell am I supposed to do with this boat I found?

Sister Buckle said...

I never saw his 'boat' as his metaphorical chic-chasing craft either! I also would have thought it was a total (if only temporary) submission.

But if it was a chasing boat - everyone's got a boat. Even if it's tied to the pontoon, you can still use it one day. You gotta set fire to it! Throwing away oars just translates to: sex with strangers when intoxicated.

(I still have my oars!!!)

Anonymous said...

EB- Now THAT sounds like fun. Or like being a pirate. Hmm...

BoP- Glad I'm not the only one! :)

JACC- Do you REALLY need to ask that question? :)

SB- "Throwing away oars just translates to: sex with strangers when intoxicated." That has got to be one of the most classic comments ever! Thanks for making me laugh, and for understanding. :)

anne said...

Well pirates may not be such a bad thing - as long as they bring you booty (ahem).