Saturday, January 27, 2007

Did you know people born after 1980 are considered adults now?

I let an eighteen-year-old girl do my hair today. She's actually quite good, advanced for her level, her instructor says. However, she's still 18. For sure.


18: So, do you like music?

Me: Definitely. Just about everything, too. How about you?

18: Oh, I love music. All kinds, too. Music is my life!

Me: Really?

18: Yes, I love it!

Me: Any favorites?

18: I love Rock the most!

Me: Oh yeah, like what?

18: Ummm, like Nickelback. And Hinder! I really like them! What about you?

Me: Yeah, there are a lot of good newer bands. I guess I like some older ones, too, though. And I grew up on Classic Rock, so I'm partial to that.

18: Classic Rock?

Me: Yeah, you know... Led Zeppelin? Queen? Aerosmith?

18: Umm, kinda. Like I think I know Aerosmith... what are their songs I would know?

Me: What will she know? Hmmm? Well, they have quite a few. Maybe you've heard Sweet Emotion? or Crazy? Jaded?

Silence...

Crickets...

18: Oh, are those the guys with like, all the hair and stuff?

Me: Yeah, a lot of hair.


Yeah, I know not everyone has to know Classic Rock. Even if "music is your life!"

11 comments:

singleton said...

Funny, but my 18 year old was born to Led Zepplin lull-a-byes! And rocked to words like....."We will, we will...rock you!"
Too funny!

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious.
I used to think I was old when I had patients with birthdays in the 80's but the other day I had a patient who was born in the 90's. Boy do I feel old when I work with these kids.

Runner Girl FL said...

That's funny!! a little scary but FUNNY!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world! I showed a picture of myself as a child to a coworker, and her student aide who saw it asked if I was dressing up fro 80's day. I carefully explained that it was actually the 80's. Oy.

Sizzle said...

shouldn't hair be her life? i'm just saying... ;)

btw, you haven't told me some of your favorite tunes/musicians so i can get you that mix cd!

Danielle said...

Wow...it is kind of mind boggling...I feel so old...:(

runliarun said...

They may be adults... but of a different kind. Much more wired into technology than into culture. I just met a 25-year old who does not know the Beatles.

Ginger Breadman said...

they should teach music history class in schools - everything from aboriginal drumming to Mozart to Curt Cobain.

Unknown said...

On Thursday I was having drinks with some co-workers. The bar we were at was near Madison Sq. Garden and was WAY more busy than normal becuase there was a Bob Seger concert that night. Fully 4 of my colleagues had never heard of Bob Seger.

Turn the page...

Anonymous said...

Singleton- Good, at least that's one!

Nicole- Yeah, wow... the 90's, that was just like yesterday, right?

RGF- I know. I was baffled.

Bre- HAHAHA! I understand.

Sizzle- I will get it done, promise.

GG- Oh, she did know about hair. Mine, anyway. It looks great!

Danielle- I know, more so every day.

Lia- Wow, I thought every American had to know the British Invasion. Yikes!

Ginger- I agree! A LOT!

Josh- Wow! Seriously? How is that possible?

justacoolcat said...

Hmmm, THe Wifey was born in 1980.