Thursday, December 21, 2006

Not that you wanted to go anywhere, anyway


It may be difficult to see in this picture, but I am freaking buried in snow. That's the "view" out of my patio door and if you look closely, you can see the top edge of the drift just before the railing. I'm taking the photo from above, so you can sort of see the drift comes about a third of the way up the door.
.
In other words: it was dang snowy and windy for a dang long time.
.
Thankfully, the job decided it wasn't safe for everyone to come in today... I won't talk about how it took them the entirety of the "delayed start" to decide this because that would just be silly. The important part is, I'm at home and I get to wrap presents all day.
.
I'm happy to get this finished now because inevitably, I've forgotten to get someone something and now I'll have a couple more days to get my act together. Yes, I've had lists -come on, who do you think I am?- but there's just always that one little gift you forget.
.
I'm also a little upset with Amazon as the CD box sets I've ordered for my grandma aren't here yet and they were ordered over two weeks ago. Don't make me hate you, Amazon, just. don't. do it.
.
The snow is probably going to throw a wrench in my plan for running this weekend, too. Following doctor's orders I've taken the last two weeks off from any running, so I was hoping to get my first run in this Saturday and, if that went well, I'd then be able to do my "traditional" Christmas morning run. Last year, I was able to run on Christmas day in shorts- it was sixty degrees (F). I'm guessing this year is going to be a little less pleasant.
.
Though I haven't been running, I can't say I feel entirely lazy. I'm glad to have taken the time off and though I thought it would be horrible at first, I now realize the purpose of rest after a marathon: to heal all the little stuff and realize what really hurts. Heh. Really, though, I've been strength training and stretching which are two things I neglected in the past six months.
.
Also, and I feel a little silly admitting this, but the Three-in-Three challenge (Nicole's idea that I invited myself to join in on) is going well. Better than expected, actually, as I've lost six pounds so far. I contribute this partly to not wanting any of the billion cookies I baked and also to finally taking the time to get to all the things I'd put off before the marathon.
.
I also have gone back to the Three and Three eating habit that my trainer put me on years back (the fact that this is also a "three" thing is strictly coincidence, I promise). You eat only every three hours and not three hours before you go to bed. It's really quite easy. It allows me to plan ahead (which I believe is THE key to healthy eating) and I'm never really hungry. If I eat at 6:00 a.m. and am hungry at 8:00 a.m., I know I only have to wait another hour before I eat again. It's not torture to me and often, I forget about the schedule altogether. Another good tip is to make sure every meal or snack contains protein. Also, if you're going to include a lot of breads or crackers or something, do it before noon. I don't know why, though I'm sure there's a science to it somewhere, but this makes a huge difference.
.
This also helps in getting my head together. I feel a little more successful and a little less "stuck." Life wise, anyway. I'm still stuck in the snow.

9 comments:

Backofpack said...

That snow looks like fun to me! Of course, it's easy for me to think that since I am not there. How idyllic though, baking, wrapping, reading, hot tea, hot fire...it sounds so nice.

I just got back from one of my multiple trips to the store to get one last thing I forgot. And yes, I have lists too. It's just that things keep getting added to them!

Danielle said...

I was waiting to see what the pictures would look like from your neck of the woods...they don't disappoint. We are getting it now and it started as rain and is now sleeting, will be a fun drive home. Sigh...not sure I'll get my run in tonight either. Hey, you can run in the snow!! It can be fun, just be careful and take it slow.

Anonymous said...

Is it strange to say I am jealous? It is 78 here and feels nothing like the holiday time. Plus a day off is awesome....

justacoolcat said...

Co has been talk of the world on CNN today. I'm hearing 10+ foot snow drifts?

Stay inside and have a cookie. You deserve the break.

Anonymous said...

How is it possible that you get all of that and I get nothing?! Selfish!

:-P

Celina said...

Oh, how I'd LOVE to have snow!! Of course, what y'all were hit with was probably a bit more than I could handle right now (I'm out of practice)!
I have to try that 3-hour thing... I already know I can't handle the exercise thing... but eating every 3 hours? Oh, that I CAN do! :)

Sizzle said...

that's a lot of snow!

i like this three hour thing...

Anonymous said...

I couldn't do the three hour thing...I never actually eat a meal. It's like, "ooo, I'm hungry, I'ma make some chicken".

And that's what it'll be...just a piece of chicken. No veggies. No pasta.

Then an hour later, I'm like, "ooo, I'm hungry, I'll have a sweet potato."

Then, of course, an hour later, I'm hungry again...:)

adam said...

I am jealous about the snow! Usually storms are annoying. Like the one which we had last week which put many of us in the dark. If we're gonna have a storm (and not loose power) it would be much cooler to have a snowstorm. Plus if it snows enough, most people around here will close shop and that means a day off work to go skiing!

The three hour eating idea sounds great, but if I try this I may get even more grief from my jealous friends. My friends already think I eat too much due to my fast metabolism! Running Fuel: COOKIES!!