Saturday, July 28, 2007

I told her we all have those moments

My sister, always the athletic one, wants to start running again. She asked me to help her, to get her into some training. Maybe motivate her a little. (This is how we know we're grown up. She can ask for help, I can give it, and we both come out alive.)

So today, after my long run, I met up with her and we did a little "trial run." She needs some time to get acclimated, not just to running again but to living at six thousand feet. When you run here and you just start out, you are pretty sure your lungs are going to burst into flames. It takes a couple weeks to adapt to that- the feeling doesn't go away, but you get used to it.

We set out for three miles today, with planned walk breaks. We made it through a half mile, she was still smiling. We walked a bit, and then ran another half mile. I stood there, beaming at her with pride. A new or returning runner is always so exciting, but when it's your sister [and you're me] it's all you can do to not jump up and cheer her on with pom poms.

"You just did something 99% of people cannot do," I told her, as we took another short walk break.

"What?" she asked me, while she gulped her water.

"Most people on this planet cannot run one mile. How do you feel?"

"Dumber than most people on the planet, to tell you the truth."

This is going to be great!

__________________________________________

Thanks so much to everyone who commented and emailed regarding my last post. I know that by and large, everyone I ever "know" here or anywhere else on Earth is great and sometimes, there are exceptions. It makes me appreciate you all more, that's for sure.

Between you all and being able to look at this little face everyday, I have no worries. Life is good.



16 comments:

runliarun said...

Your sister is modest. But when I did my first one mile at, well, only 5000 feet, I felt miserable. With one mile, where you want to go is so far away still.

Always. Everything is so relative.

justacoolcat said...

"Dumber than most people on the planet, to tell you the truth"

Amen.

That's how I feel when I run too.

Buffy said...

I want to run again. I had a bad knee injury a year and a half ago that meant I pretty much couldnt even go up and down stairs properly until a few months back. Never mind running.

Now, its just 10% ability and 90% FEAR that's stopping me from running again. I'm so afraid Im gonna mess up the knee and get set back...not just in running but in fitness and mobility in general.

I dont know where to start...I dont remember ever being at the beginning like this...

Frustrated...

Anonymous said...

So sweet! I went running last night and have no idea how far I went. I can't decide if I would ever want to know. I come back exhausted and if wasn't an impressive number I may get disappointed! It's nice to read that your sister has such a great cheerleader running right beside her.

Airam said...

Aww I love this. I wish I had someone to run with me. When I start to run that is.

Sizzle said...

nephews are THE best.

megabrooke said...

your sister is so lucky to have you as her personal coach!

glad you are feeling better about the other post! love the picture- what a cutie!

anne said...

Yay for sister posts! And really sister quality time, even if it is running. And of course what the sister brings along - really really adorable nephews.

The Exception said...

Sounds as if you are not only a great cheerleader but a great friend to your sister. That is fabulous.

I have five nephews - they are a blast. Enjoy the time you have with yours!

Backofpack said...

Hey, good job on getting your sister going - she's lucky to have you help her along. And your nephew is adorable...

I went back and read your previous post (I was gone for the weekend). I think some people act like that because they feel inadequate and defensive. Whatever your comment was, it must have hit her in the wrong place. We all know you are wonderful, bright, well-written and a philosophizer (?spelling??). Just ignore her in the future.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

After living at high altitude for the past 9 years or so, I'd forgotten how long it takes to get used to it. I was exhausted for the first month after moving here. Good for your sister! And it sure doesn't hurt to have such a loving coach.

Bre said...

My goodness, look at all that hair! Seriously!

Ally said...

This makes me wish my sister would run with me. At least I can get her to the track to walk sometimes. Running is so much more fun with someone to chat with and plan the next run with.

Danielle said...

Ah, I've wished, hoped and tried to get more people into running...it is so fun to get someone new back to it.

and reading your last post...wow...some people...it's kind of like a conversation I had with my grandma and aunt this weekend...some people talk about being a Christian, some people just are...I kind of prefer the ones that just are (and it doesn't have to be "Christian" but a good person being one does not equate always to being the other).

Anonymous said...

Cute kid!

And, congrats to your sister. My sister would never run with me and thinks I am dumb when I run marathons. yet, she keeps supporting me and that's all I can ask for.

singleton said...

Sisters Rock! and that's all there is to it! They rock! Yours run, mine roll, same difference, They rock! Enjoy the sister~love~ and that precious little nephew!