Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Lighter Notes

Scene: A suburban UPS store.

Me: Dropping off a return box of shoes from Zappos. (Do you not adore them?!)

Girl at counter: Bopping her head along to the radio.

Man across room: Tall, built, dressed in jeans and a black leather jacket. You would not want to meet him in a dark alley.

"Hi," says the girl behind the counter.

"Hi," I say, "I just have this return package."

"Okay! Cool!" She's very peppy. "Hey, do you know who this is on the radio?" she asks me and tall, built, leather man.

I do know who it is. It's George Michael, and the song is Faith.

"It's George Michael," I tell her.

"Oh yeah, I was thinking Michael Bolton!"

"Oh, definitely not," I say.

The hugely tall and now nearly frightening man in leather crosses the room toward me, bends a little closer to talk to me and says "Ma'am, not meaning anything by this, but you were really quick to answer that question."

"I know," I say, "it's my curse. Bad, huh?"

"No," he says, "bad would be if you walked out of here letting this girl think it was Michael Bolton."

I love people.

12 comments:

brandy said...

Lol, I loved that! It makes me wonder of all the people I don't talk to and assume to be a certain 'kind of person' (ie. one not to cross in an alley). How are they really?

Joe said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Anonymous said...

He's right, bad is not knowing the difference between one Mike and the other. They are like worse and worsest. LOL

egan said...

This is such a great story. I think you found a new friend at the UPS Store.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Oh nice! That guy gets my vote. For what, I'm not sure, but I'll think of something.

Me said...

That was cute!

singleton said...

LOL! Bad would've been walking out and leaving her thinking it was Michael Jackson!

Bre said...

Ha! He rocks!

Anonymous said...

Great story!
BTW I tried to email you the other day RE: St John - maybe I typed it wrong. Anyway, if you don't get my email my address is
nspinos@yahoo.com Thanks

justacoolcat said...

I told those fudge packers that I liked Michael Bolton's music.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

hahaha JustA - at least your name's not Michael Bolton!

Danielle said...

Wow...cannot believe that one!