Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Compliments

Recently, someone was introducing me to a friend. For whatever delightful reason, this person (the 'introducer') always finds a way to not only introduce you but share something about you at the same time.

"This is Bob, he's an architect and cross country skis with the blind on weekends."

"This is Doris, she's a singer and owns a small cabin outside of Telluride."

"This is Doug, he's my friend from college and is in town promoting his new line of pet clothes."

I think this is a brilliant way of introducing people, and really should be the only way. What's better than to meet someone for the first time and yet, feel like you already know them?

When I was introduced the other day, the words that followed X, meet Y, Y, meet X, etc. sort of stopped time for me. "She works with Steve. She's a good one. The real deal."

The real deal.

Forget for a moment that we were in an extremely high-pressure, high-profile situation (for the two of them, anyway, not so much for me- I find it hard to feel like anything is that big a deal these days) and I think those words could probably be enough to keep me going for a very, very long time. As hard as we try to be what and who we want to be, I think mostly, we want to be perceived as authentic. I am friendly, outgoing, open and honest but mostly, I'm just trying to be me. No b.s., no skirting around issues, and no worrying that everyone likes me or what I'm doing. It's good to know that sometimes, that's what actually comes through.

9 comments:

anne said...

That is awesome. I spend a lot of time wondering/worrying what people think and if I come across in the way I intend.

Sizzle said...

that's when you know, when someone echoes it back to you like that, unexpectedly.

of course you are the real deal!

brandy said...

I can't think of a nicer compliment than that. And as for the introduction, am I the only one who had flashbacks to Bridget Jones?

justacoolcat said...

That's so much better than when people introduce me with ". . . and he showered today".

Runner Girl FL said...

That is one of the best compliments ever!!

Bre said...

Isn't that the best feeling? I love little offhand compliments like that, they can absolutely make your whole week!

skinnylittleblonde said...

99% of communication is interpretation, imho. :) It's nice to catch a glimpse of what others' think because it lets us know what we have really been communicating, as oppossed to what we think we have communicated.
Just knowing you here in the virtual world, I'd have to say your the real deal.

Danielle said...

Wow, that is really an awesome compliement.

runliarun said...

Yes, that's how you come across, even in writing. Genuine. Authentic. The real deal.